Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Eureka!...or let's talk about numbers!


 Last week has been a very interesting one. The highlight of my studies had to be one of the fundamental parts of every language; numbers (and dates). When you start learning a language, the things you always learn first are the pronouns, some animals and everyday items, numbers, dates and tenses. Since the first is really easy to learn, due to the Korean language having very few pronouns and you are not always forced to use them, I jumped right into the latter ones. 

Numbers, in short, are one of the easiest things to learn in Korean. Sure it might take me a bit to read aloud a full date or a big number but give me a few seconds and I'll write it/say it with no problems. The Korean language uses two numbering systems; a system influenced by Chinese and a smaller, less robust and finite (up to number 100) in Korean. The general gist is that for small numbers and for counting specific items, you make use of the Korean numbers. For large numbers, you use the Sino-Korean numbers (really, they're that more simpler than their Korean counterparts). In both cases, there are exceptions. Not only that, but when using numbers, you can sometimes mix up both systems although I believe this happens almost never.

I'm really happy that this is one of the things i can say that I have learned quite fast. Numbers are an integral part of all languages and everyday life. From looking to buy a two coke cans to doing mathematical equations as a part of your job.

One other thing I was surprised to read about in the very first Units of the book was family hierarchy. This was very weird to because the author delved in such a depth of detail that you are not supposed to do in the first lessons. Sure, mom and dad and grandfather and grandmother are always useful, but I realized five pages of describing in depth the family hierarchy came with the Korean society itself. I don't think I'll be using the terms I've learned there anytime soon, but it's always good to be aware of that reading Korean also means getting adjusted to a different way of life and thinking!

I aim to study more meticulously and with greater speed come next few months. As long as you believe in what you're doing, no time spent is time wasted! Until next week, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment